Search The Good Bad & Ugly Gospel Barn

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sue Cox - What Will I Leave Behind

Woman At The Well

Sue Cox
What WIll I Leave Behind?
Oak Records, Harrison, Ohio
832

Sue Cox appears to be a local act. There is mention of her attending school in Kentucky on the liner notes. Cox also won a "trophy at the Taft Auditorium in Cincinnati for singing...".

Don't judge a book by the cover. The only reason I bought this record was because I buy every local vintage record I find simply because I like to explore the musical history of the geographic area that I reside in.

From the cover I expected to hear a classically trained vocalist featuring a conservative approach. But what I found was a cross between an old fashion big-voiced female country belter and Ernestine Washington a wonderful old-time black gospel singer. This set is a lot of fun and Cox is backed up by a very good band. There is very little information on the jacket, none actually about the recording. The notes do mention that she plays the piano on the album on the sample track I've posted, Woman At The Well.

10 comments:

  1. Sue Cox married Bruce Cole and they pastored a church in Louisville Kentucky. In late 60's and early 70's she recorded at least 3 albums on the Heartwarming label with Benson in Nashville. Loved listening to her growing up. I think I have those 3 albums still in a box in my basement. She was (and probably still is) amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking for her albums, she had a small songbook, i'd love to have. Oh, how, I enjoyed attending the church they pastored in Louisville, KY in to the early 70's, while working in the bus ministry.

      Delete
  2. love hearing this lady sing and minister she is a true inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue Cox Cole - Joy In The Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. patricia2013.pd@gmail.comMay 15, 2022 at 6:08 PM

      I've looked for the verses to this song for many years, do you have the words?

      Delete
  4. as a young teenager saw sister sue at fifth street pentecostal church in louisville, ky her big voice and her preaching touched me and had a influence on my life....encouraged me for i had a desire to sing for the Lord and the Lord made it possible to fulfil my desire

    ReplyDelete
  5. WONDERFUL PASTORS AND PEOPLE ALL MY LIFE THEY HAVE BEEN A PART OF IT. I LOVE YOU BRO AND SISTER COLE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The song What Will I Leave Behind, by Sue, was played at my father in law's funeral about 50 yrs ago. First time I'd heard it.. fell in love with it. I searched til I found who was singing and ordered the album. Through the years, something has happened to it and I'd love to find another copy..

    ReplyDelete
  7. She was my mom’s maid of honor. She was a great women. We loved her family

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bruce and Sue Cole are just as dedicated to the work of God today as ever cinti Ohio

    ReplyDelete