Search The Good Bad & Ugly Gospel Barn

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Whistling In Heaven - Fred Lowery

Whispering Hope
Whistling In Heaven
Fred Lowery
Whistling With Voices And Instrumental
Conducted By Maury Laws
Gra-Low GR-7100

Fred Lowery was the most successful professional whistler of the 1940s and 1950s. He was blinded by scarlet fever at the age of two. Read more on spaceagepop.com.

Lowery moved away from popular music to focus on religious melodies in the 1960s and 1970s. His venues changed from nightclubs to churches. His first religious recordings were done on Gra-Low, his own label named after his wife GRAcie and himself, LOWery. These record were mostly sold at his church appearances.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. My father loved to hear Fred Lowery whistle. He especially loved to hear him whistle "Whispering Hope." I have hunted this for years, but had forgotten his first name and kept spelling the last name Larey, not Lowrey. This gives me lots of happy memories since my Dad passed away in 1976.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your memories!

      Delete
    2. Fred Lowery was my 4th cousin once removed. I thoroughly enjoy listening to his music. Friends and relatives can find additional information about Fred at www.SkillernFamily.com

      Delete
  2. I had never even heard of Fred Lowery until I found a copy of his "Whistling in Heaven" record at a local thrift shop. This guy is seriously impressive. I've been trying to learn more about my record but haven't been very successful. Mine came in a black and white case with a cartoonish bird (dressed in a tuxedo dickie and a wizard's cap) singing on the cover, rather than with the picturesque case featured on this page. Would you happen to know where I should look for more information about my record? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete