Search The Good Bad & Ugly Gospel Barn

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Still Singing The Gospel - The Gospelettes


The Gospelettes
Still Singing The Gospel
Marbone Records

The album has a nice honest earthy sound from the hills. The ladies are backed up by a small group that play sparingly but distinctly. The accordion is a nice touch.

There are some great names to be found in the rear cover notes. Names like Mary Brick, Jerry Crank and Shorty Baker.

My favorite track is the rocking Jesus I Believe. The tune starts out conventionally but then The Gospelettes mix it up with a little soul.

2 comments:

  1. I remember the Gospelettes very well. My father was a pastor and evangelist for 52 years around the Charleston,WV area. The Gospelettes came and sang at many meetings where my father was preaching at the churches he pastored or at revival meetings at other churches. Absolutely loved them! The group was made up of the Aggleston family. Mother; Audrey, daughters/sisters; Charlotte, Mary Ann, and I'm not sure but I think the third daughters name was Jewel. They were such a blessing. Had the privilege of seeing sister Audrey not long before her passing and I'll always remember that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte and Mary are in So. Charleston,WV and Jewell is in So. Carolina.We all still love Jesus. and Still singing Gospel.

      Delete