Search The Good Bad & Ugly Gospel Barn

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sing Along With The Singing Bryants

Guardian Angel
Show Me The Way To Calvary
Sing Along With The Singing Bryants
Featuring Help Me To Not Complain
Rite Record Studio

The Bryants group worked out of Williamsburg, Kentucky.

This is an interesting post, for me anyway. For those of you that follow my blog you know that I find a lot of locally produced vintage music. Almost all of my finds are white southern gospel. One of my first finds, years ago, was a great record by The Singing Siler Family also from Williamsburg. The Bryants must have known The Silers as they covered three of Sam Siler's tunes on this album, including Guardian Angel. Since then I found another group, more from my area of Kentucky, The Lawson Family. The Lawson also covered Guardian Angel.

Of course, it makes sense that all of these folks, working in the 60s and 70s, would have crossed paths and maybe even done shows together on occasion. Or at the very least, they may have had access to each other's records which may have been available at the churches they gigged at.

This album is a little too polished for my tastes, but the vocals on Show Me The Way To Calvary are really beautiful.

Comment: Thats my family. Sam Siler is my Grandma's brother. her name is Clara, shes the woman in the picture on that record. that little boy singing that song is my daddy. i sang that song when i was a little girl. singing gets in the blood. they still sing, my mamaw, my daddy, and both my uncles (which are featured on that picture you have there) bet you didnt figure the reason they knew the song is cause they were related.. lol.

4 comments:

  1. Clara Bryant VanoverMarch 26, 2011 at 6:59 PM

    I am Clara Bryant Vanover, The Mother and co-founder of THE SINGING BRYANT'S,From Williamsburg Ky. We do still have this album available on C.D as we do many we have recorded over the years. we are also still singing for the LORD,and hope to do so for many years, we do concerts in your area, if you would like to attend one please let us know, we will provide you with the address. we do have a web site ;THE SINGING BRYANT'S/myspace; The album, The Siler Family, is my brother. Thanks for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember The Singing Bryants. Miss Clara and family visited our church in Lily Ky back some 30 years ago when we were a poor young family. Great album. Great people. Great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Bryant's greatest achievement was employing a convicted child molester named David Walter Hager.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My aunt, Debbie Saunders used to play steel guitar with The Bryants. If anyone remembers her let me know!

    ReplyDelete